To apply for a South African passport the following documents are required:
- Current/Previous SA Passport
- SA ID
- SA Immigration Permit / SA Certificate of Naturalisation (for citizens who were not born in RSA)
- € 40,00 cash, exact amount
- 3 colour photos (in accordance with international standards). Photo booth also available at the Embassy - 6 euros (coins only) for 6 photos.
Please note that all applications will be sent to the Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria for issuance. The average timeframe for processing of passports is 8 to 12 months.
To apply for an Emergency Travel Certificate:
- Motivation Letter (typed) and signed by applicant
- € 15,00 Cash
- 2 colour photos
- Date of travel
- SA Address
Please also find here form BI-529 (Determination of Citizenship) to be filled in with block letters and a black ink pen.
PLEASE BE INFORMED THAT IN LIGHT OF THE RECENT LIFTING OF SOME OF THE COVID-19 LOCKDOWN REGULATIONS BY THE PORTUGUESE AUTHORITIES, THE SOUTH AFRICAN EMBASSY WILL NOW BE OPEN THREE TIMES A WEEK ON TUESDAYS, WEDNESDAYS AND THURSDAYS, BETWEEN 08H00 AND 15H00.
AT PRESENT, THE EMBASSY CAN ONLY BE REACHED TELEPHONICALLY BY USING THE EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBER (T. 964 151 989) WHICH SHOULD BE RESERVED FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY.
1) The Embassy does not provide photocopying, printing or fax services to applicants.
Applicants must therefore ensure that they produce photocopies / print-outs together with original personal documents and applications, e.g. passports, identity documents, certificates, etc.