The purpose of a visa on the one hand is to ensure proper screening of applicants so that undesirable persons are not admitted to the Republic and on the other hand to facilitate the entry of approved applicants at South African ports of entry. Visas provide immigration officers with the necessary information to ensure that applicants are admitted for the correct purpose and period into the RSA.
Portuguese citizens, travelling with Portuguese passports do not require a visa if the intended visit to South Africa is for 90 day or less. Any queries relating to visas are handled by the Consular Section of the South African Embassy in Lisbon or either the Honorary Consulate in Funchal, Madeira or Porto, whichever is the closest one situated to you.
Kindly note that the Embassy telephone numbers and emails are back online.
The Embassy is open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 08:00 to 15:00.
Consular hours are 09:00 to 12:00 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT ONLY.
For emergencies only (no visa requests) please call 964 151 989
1) The Embassy does not provide photocopying, printing or fax services to applicants.
Applicants must therefore ensure that they produce photocopies / print-outs together with original personal documents and applications, e.g. passports, identity documents, certificates, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR VISA APPLICATION AT THE SA EMBASSY IN LISBON:
- Incomplete applications are not accepted. Please be sure to fill in all information on the application forms and to produce all the required documents for your application.
- All application forms must be fully filled in with a black ink pen, and legible handwriting.
- All details provided by the applicant should be in accordance with the documents produced (e.g. name and surname in accordance with passport details).
- Applicants must apply for the visas in person at the South African Embassy in Lisbon, and sign the application forms in the presence of an Embassy Official.
- All documents in a foreign language must be translated to English.
- All documents issued by any country other than South Africa or Portugal must be certified by means of an Apostille or – if not party to the Hague Convention - by the Diplomatic representation in Portugal, duly accredited to the Portuguese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- A Photo booth is available at the Embassy for international standard photographs. (4xphotos = 5 euros, coins only)
- All documents and letters or work contracts must be signed and stamped.
- Only original documents are accepted. Originals must be produced with their respective copies.
- The Embassy will only accept South African Police Clearance Certificates issued by the South African Police Service (SAPS).
- Public attendance period for visas at the South African Embassy in Lisbon: Monday to Friday – 8:30 to 11:00.
- Processing time: 10 working days.
- Upon submission of pending / additional documents, the processing timeframe of 10 working days will be restarted.
TYPES OF VISAS AND REQUIRED DOCUMENTS / FORMS