To apply for a South African passport the following documents are required:
- Current/Previous SA Passport
- SA ID
- SA Immigration Permit / SA Certificate of Naturalisation (for citizens who were not born in RSA)
- € 40,00 cash, exact amount
- 3 colour photos (in accordance with international standards). Photo booth also available at the Embassy - 6 euros (coins only) for 6 photos.
Please note that all applications will be sent to the Department of Home Affairs in Pretoria for issuance. The average timeframe for processing of passports is 8 to 12 months.
To apply for an Emergency Travel Certificate:
- Motivation Letter (typed) and signed by applicant
- € 15,00 Cash
- 2 colour photos
- Date of travel
- SA Address
Please also find here form BI-529 (Determination of Citizenship) to be filled in with block letters and a black ink pen.
INFORMAMOS QUE DEVIDO AO ESTADO DE EMERGÊNCIA E MEDIDAS DE CONFINAMENTO DECRETADAS PELO GOVERNO PORTUGUÊS, A EMBAIXADA ESTARÁ ENCERRADA AO PÚBLICO A PARTIR DE 15 DE JANEIRO ATÉ DATA A ANUNCIAR.
EM CASO DE EMERGÊNCIA, LIGAR PARA T. 964 151 989
1) The Embassy does not provide photocopying, printing or fax services to applicants.
Applicants must therefore ensure that they produce photocopies / print-outs together with original personal documents and applications, e.g. passports, identity documents, certificates, etc.